For Immediate Release
WCSO Participating in Pedestrian Safety Joining Forces Campaign
Washoe County Sheriff's Office
The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office is currently participating in a regional Joining Forces campaign aimed at reducing vehicle versus pedestrian crashes by increasing enforcement and awareness of traffic safety laws.
Between June 2nd through June 24th, the Sheriff’s Office is joining forces with other northern Nevada agencies to heighten enforcement of the state’s pedestrian safety laws through the dedication of extra traffic patrol deputies.
When using our region’s roads and highways, please remember the following safety reminders:
- Use intersections and marked mid-block crosswalks only.
- Between dusk and dawn, wear bright clothing or accessories that can be seen at night.
- Continue to look for oncoming traffic until the other side of the road is reached.
- Make eye contact with drivers before stepping into the street.
- Obey speed limits and know when conditions warrant reduced speeds.
- Check intersections and mid-block crosswalks for waiting pedestrians, and yield to them.
- Make eye contact with pedestrians waiting to cross the street.
This campaign is made possible by a Joining Forces grant from the Nevada Department of Public Safety/Office of Traffic Safety. Joining Forces is a multi-jurisdictional law enforcement program aimed at reducing injuries and crashes through statewide enforcement in the areas of DUI, speed, distracted driving, seat belt, and pedestrian safety.
For the latest statistics about Nevada’s pedestrian crashes from Zero Fatalities: https://zerofatalitiesnv.com/watch-out-for-each-other/
The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is dedicated to preserving a safe and secure community with professionalism, respect, integrity and the highest commitment to equality. Sheriff Darin Balaam is the 27th person elected to serve as the Sheriff of Washoe County since the Office was created in 1861. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office strives to ensure public safety by building trust and creating partnerships within the diverse communities in which we serve. We will promote the dignity of all people supported by our words and actions through open communication while fostering an environment of professionalism, integrity and mutual respect.