Volunteer Opportunities With Washoe County Sheriff's Office
The Washoe County Sheriff's Office offers a variety of opportunities for volunteers. This agency values the volunteers who work with us and assist us in meeting our goal of providing a safe, secure community. Volunteers bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the agency and they provide a service to the community.
If you are interested in more detailed information, read the brief descriptions below and click on the area of interest to you:
Detention: Work directly with inmates to provide counseling, educational guidance, mentoring or religious services.
Search and Rescue: Perform search and rescue functions, assists in major events, maintains the fleet of specialty vehicles, conduct CDL training for the department, and provide logistical help to other divisions and agencies.
- Volunteers receive a broad overview of law enforcement in Reno/Sparks and throughout Washoe County (Citizen's Academy)
- Volunteers provide Command Post support at special events, take electronic fingerprints for children, assist at the Victim Impact Panel, etc. (S.M.A.R.T.)
- Volunteers are trained to recognize and to understand what would be considered a terrorist threat as well as what to do should an attack occur. (CHCS)
- Volunteers provide all hazards response under the guidance of professional first responders. They are trained in disaster preparedness, fire safety, emergency medical, search and rescue, incident command structure, disaster psychology and terrorism. (CERT)
- Volunteers provide support to airport police during heightened alerts and special security initiatives. (ASVP)