Employment at the Washoe County Sheriff's Office
Can you picture yourself here? So can we…
Whether you are looking for a career for the first time, changing careers or returning from military service, deciding what career is right for you can be confusing. The right choice can offer you the right opportunities; professional advancement, a rewarding work environment, diversity in job options, service to your community and attractive benefits. At the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office we understand that these opportunities are an important part of your career building plan.
The Sheriff’s Office is the premiere law enforcement agency in northern Nevada, and is committed to providing the highest quality police service and protection to our residents and visitors of Washoe County. We are looking for career seekers who understand problem solving, critical thinking, are disciplined, good communicators, understand integrity, honesty and commitment, want to make a difference and have a desire to serve their community.
If you feel that we are a good match, we can offer you a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities that make a difference in the community in which you work, live and play.
There are many ways you can connect with us.
You can Apply for positions currently available on-line by clicking HERE which will lead you to the Washoe County Human Resources website. (We can only accept online applications. Resumes can be attached when you apply online). If the position you are looking for isn’t available, you can fill out a Job Interest Card.
Note: The Washoe County HR job application website is currently in transition, so you may experience technical difficulties when applying online. If you experience technical difficulties, you can:
- find a list of trouble-shooting solutions HERE.
- drive to and apply online at any Washoe County Library, the WC Human Resources office located at 9th and Wells, or the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office located at 911 Parr Boulevard.
- You can complete our Job Interest Card by clicking HERE. We maintain a list of those interested in a position at the Sheriff’s office for 18 months. We notify everyone in that database the next time that position becomes available.
- You can Contact our Human Resources at (775) 328-6383 or (775) 328-2081.
- Qualified people who might be interested in becoming a Reserve Volunteer Deputy Sheriff can contact our Backgrounds Investigation Unit at (775) 328-3352.
Want to know more?
Below we have a brief outline of our benefits as well as some tools and resources that can help you successfully apply for a position at the Sheriff’s Office:
- Sheriff’s Office Benefits
- Job Specifications for frequently hired positions
- Applying and testing for positions with the Sheriff’s Office
- Prequalification: Backgrounds, CVSA, Medical Examination and Drug Screening
- Frequently Asked Questions
Special requirements for Deputy Recruit and certified Deputy (Category I) Positions:
- Minimum qualifications to apply and selection process
- Self-Screening Checklist
Physical Abilities Testing is required and consists of exercises to measure an individual's strength, endurance, and agility. Click HERE for physical abilities requirements. We recommend that you take a moment to review the brief PAT videos below to guide you through each test requirement.
Push ups Sit ups Bend Twist and Touch Grip Test Vertical Jump Sit and Reach 300m Sprint 1 1/2 Mile Run
- Written Examination – All applicants with the exception of Deputy Sheriff Reserve candidates must take and pass a written examination (upon successful completion of the above Physical Abilities Test). Click HERE for the study guide
- Click HERE for information on the Northern Nevada Law Enforcement Academy for Deputy Recruits
- Psychological Screening - Selected candidates will be required to undergo a psychological screening. This consists of an interview with a psychologist.
- Think Women can’t handle law enforcement? Think again. Click HERE for more information.
By embracing change and diversity, the Sheriff’s Office creates a workplace capable of motivating, developing and rewarding employees to achieve success. We are an equal opportunity employer and hire without regard for race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability. We leverage the skills and talents of our people across the organization and continuously strive to develop our employees both personally and professionally. We share best practices, encourage innovative thinking and make decisions that are best for the organization as a whole.
If you can picture yourself as part of our team, then please apply or fill out the online job interest card today!