Back to School Safety Reminders
Traffic Distractions: Slow Down and Watch for Children!
With summer ending and the start of school just around the corner, there are more distractions when driving than ever, so the Sheriff’s Office is asking drivers to slow down and be on the alert for children walking to school. Here are some precautions:
- Slow down and be especially alert in the residential neighborhoods and school zones. Come to a full stop and check both ways at stop signs and red lights.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours.
- Watch for school bus stop signs. When a school bus stops with brake lights flashing or the stop sign raised, motorists from either direction must stop until all children have safety crossed the road.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings. Put down your phone and don’t talk or text while driving.
Reminders for your kids:
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked cars.
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them.